Thursday, June 12, 2008

EarthTainer Lessons Learned - Part 1

I like the DIY EarthTainer. I like it a lot. It does a very good job of maintaining consistent moisture levels even on hot, dry, windy Albuquerque Spring days. I hope it continues to satisfy as we go into the blazing hot summer. There are a couple of things I've learned.
  1. The screen that separates the soil from the water reservoir needs to be supported as close to the edge as possible. Otherwise, the weight of the moist soil will cause the edges to sag and possibly block the overflow hole.
  2. The potting mix will settle as it moistens. Keep extra on hand to top-off.
  3. Before you plant or place the fertilizer strip, mix a small amount of fertilizer, epsom salts and garden lime into the top third of the potting mix.
  4. Planet-Friendly Totes from Lowes are 99% post consumer product. Great for the environment, great for holding solids, not so great for holding liquids. One of mine leaks. So I lined all of mine with large contractor trash bags. I also put a folded up trash bag on the bottom before I put the screen in. I don't know how puncture resistant the trash bags are, but I figure the extra layers will keep the screen supports or fill tube from wearing a hole in the liner. The downside is figuring out the overflows. I pushed the liner through the overflow holes and trimmed off a little bit of liner. The hard part is keeping the liner from pulling back inside the tote. Still working on this.
  5. I pulled out the 54" cages from Lowes in favor of stakes. In retrospect, I don't think it was such a great idea. The cages were pretty solidly anchored in the screen. I don't think they will tip that easily. Next season, I'll use cages and recycle the 1/2" EMT as stakes to secure the EarthTainers.
  6. If you want to use stakes that are driven into the ground, don't center the plant in the EarthTainer. Put the plant near the edge, so it is easy to train up the stake.
  7. I might try to build an internal staking system from 1" PVC. Or I might try a PVC cage like the one pictured here. Or I could create a trellis like this with clips like this. Or the trellis could be used to do a Florida Weave. Or I could just use the cages :)
  8. Plant deep! Solid root development is critical!

No comments: